The Oris x Beyond The Dial Essay Contest
Oris and Beyond The Dial have joined forces to launch their first ever essay contest celebrating the release of the Carysfort Reef Limited Edition. We invite you to submit an essay describing your ultimate adventure with this watch that’s dedicated to bringing Change for the Better to the world’s oceans by supporting the reef preservation efforts of the Coral Restoration Foundation™.
You have just been handed a brand new Oris Carysfort Reef Limited Edition — with your choice of a stainless steel bracelet or an orange rubber strap — along with safe passage to anywhere in the world. Where will you go, what will you do, what else will you bring, and why will your journey matter?
Essays of all forms are encouraged and accepted. It can be a straight-up expository piece, a fictional story, an imaginary journal entry, a unique take on a packing list, or anything else you can dream up. Maybe even a poem. The point is to get creative, get personal, geek out, and have fun.
Essays should have a title and be no longer than 2000 words in length. The winner will have written the most inspiring and heartfelt essay, one that moves the reader and helps them imagine a very special journey.
Three essays will be selected as winners. Allen will read all three essays aloud on an episode of the Beyond The Dial podcast and we will also post them at beyondthedial.com. Based on the contest guidelines, the three winners will receive the following prizes in addition to being featured:
- Grand Prize: Carysfort Reef Limited Edition (1 of 2,000 pieces)
- 2 Runners Up: Oris x Momotaro Denim Bag + an Oris Hat
All applicants’ essays may be featured at some point on the Beyond The Dial website and/or podcast.
Essay Contest Guidelines
Submit your essay digitally via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with an attached Word Doc. Please do not mail in entries. Each contestant must provide their name, email, phone number, and shipping address. Each participant can submit one entry for consideration.
Start Date and Deadline
The Essay Contest starts on June 29, 2020 and the deadline is August 31, 2020. Entries received after 11:59 PM EDT on August 31st will not be considered.
Essays should have a title and be no longer than 2000 words in length.
All entrants must be 18 years of age or older. If entrants younger than 18 and would like to participate, a parent or guardian must submit on their behalf.
Because our judges are native English speakers, we need the essays in English. However, you are welcome to write your essay in your native language and have it translated into English for submission. If English is not your first language and you have questions about this, please email email@example.com with your questions.
Essays will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Tackle The Assignment – If an essay does not make an earnest attempt at the assignment, it will not be considered for review. Again, the winner will have written the most inspiring and heartfelt essay, one that moves the reader and helps them imagine a very special journey
- Voice/Originality – The essay uses an engaging, personal style. The author finds fresh or unique ways to convey ideas and images. The author approaches the assignment from a unique perspective.
- Original Work – The essay must be originally crafted for this contest and not published elsewhere. Previous personal work may be adapted for this contest, however plagiarism of any kind will result in disqualification.